Sunday 9 June 2013

I wish I had done this sooner

It has been a busy week with teaching and getting ready for an exhibition.
I belong to a textile group called Calico, which meets at Botolph Barn in Helpston near Peterborough.
We are having a small exhibition this coming weekend as a prelude to a main exhibition in September at John Clare Cottage, in Helpston.

I have been looking through some of my work and decided that I really should document some of my pieces as it would be a good to have a portfolio. It would also save time when deciding which pieces should be exhibited as all the information would be to hand.


This is the page I have started for the 3D vessel 'If I had Wings' which I have mentioned in an earlier post.

Doing all this cataloging put me in mind of a speaker we had to the Embroiderers' Guild many years ago. She had worked for Norman Hartnell in London and spent time drawing and sketching the outfits that were chosen by members of the Royal Family. She told us that the sketches were kept in portfolios for the Royal Family members to look through when choosing outfits for state visits and occasions. Certainly easier than looking through racks of clothes. 

I wish I had taken note of this and started my own portfolio of work years ago. I am now trying to remember where and when each piece has been exhibited. It is proving to be a bit of a headache but will be worth it in the end. 

Will you be starting to catalogue your work?

Bev

1 comment:

  1. I agree, it's one of those tasks that take such little time if you do it immediately but is a real headache if left for a period of time. I try to remember to take a photograph of each scrapbooking layout as I do it and the cards that I make before I send them but inevitably I forget and it then becomes a bit of a problem the following year when I can't remember what card I made for whom....
    Well done for getting on with it now :)
    Sue
    x

    ReplyDelete