Sunday 26 July 2015

Watercolour Quilt

There are so many Patchwork & Quilting techniques that I feel I will need two life times to fully explore them all.

Watercolour quilting is one that I recently came across. And having now heard of it I needed to have a go.

I had some Liberty Cotton Tana Lawn fabric, which is not very good for patchwork as it is so fine. However as this method uses Pellon Quilters Grid to stabilise the fabric, I thought that it would be a good test.

I separated the fabric into light, medium and dark, and then had a play on my design wall.


Having decided on this arrangement I ironed it to the Pellon Quilters Grid to stabilise all the fabrics.
As I was ironing a fusible fabric I used some baking parchment over the top to prevent any of the glue messing up my iron.


Now for the sewing. Firstly I sewed alternate vertical seams all in the same direction ( from the top to the bottom )


I then stitched the rest of the vertical seams in the opposite direction to prevent any distortion 


Before I stitched the horizontal seams I clipped all the joints making sure I cut the stitching too. This allowed me to lock the seams together and get great matching points


Now that I have had a go at this technique I will start to save small squares of fabric (2 1/2" ) and start planning another one. I think I will try to get a better tone difference between the fabrics, but I think for a scrappy quilt it has worked out quite well.

Bev

No comments:

Post a Comment