Thursday 2 January 2014

Blue John Blocks #4

Happy New Year to you all and wish you all a creative 2014

Now that all the Blue John blocks have arrived at their destinations round the world I feel that I can continue to share the development of this special block design.
 I wanted to make a quilt which would go across the bottom of a double bed  as foot warmer. Out of the blocks I had started to explore from the photograph 
 I liked the 7 Piece block pattern the best. I also decided that I wanted each of the 7 pieces of the block to be of different tonal values.


I also thought  that each block should be different so that it would have the appearance of a tile floor.



However making a whole quilt in this way did not give me enough contrast in movement across the quilt.


So I decided to add in stripes and squares to the design, this added more interest to the design.


Having the squares and stripes cut out  of coloured papers allowed me to play around with the composition of the quilt, until I found a design that I was happy with.  



This pattern was too much like a tiled floor and I opted for a more asymmetrical design.
Once the design choice was finalised, and the fabric dyed, I then had to think about the quilting pattern.



Bev







No comments:

Post a Comment