Monday 2 February 2015

Mystery Quilt 1

Where has the time gone. It has been a very busy time and I want to start by congratulating my students who have just completed their City & Guilds courses. I feel very proud of them and enjoyed showing their beautiful work to the IV.

As I haven't posted for a while I am going to start the New Year with a Mystery Quilt Challenge.

A mystery quilt can be a bit scary as you don't know what the finished piece will look like but I have broken it down into small sections leading to a wonderful finished piece.

To get you started I will give some clues.

1. My mystery quilt pattern is made from 2 blocks, both of which have a finished size of 18" This means that if a full quilt is too much to start with you could make a block or two and they would make lovely cushion covers. 
The quilt is a throw rug size of 60" x 60" but blocks could be added to make it into a bed quilt.

2. You will need a light (fabric A), a medium (fabric B) and a dark/patterned (fabric C) 
See quantities below, I have allowed for a border in the measurements.

Fabric A   - 1.25 m  ( 1.5 yd)
Fabric B -  2.50 m   ( 2.75 yds)
Fabric C - 1.5m       ( 1.5yds)



    A                     B                     C
(I have used these fabrics for the photographs)

3. Cutting Instructions All the instructions will be given in inches

Fabric A - 3" x 3" squares  cut 30
               7" x 7" squares cut 12
               2.5" x 2.5"  squares cut 40

Fabric B - 3" x 3" squares cut 20
               2.5' x 4.5"  rectangles cut 40
               2.5" x 18.5" strips cut 4
               10.5" x 10.5" squares cut 10

Fabric C - 4.5" x 4.5" squares cut 5
               2.5" x 2.5" squares cut 20
               3" x 3" squares cut 10
               2.5" x 18.5" strips cut 8
               7" x 7" squares cut 12



Next Monday I will post the first instructions for the quilt.

I would like to thank Tudor Rose Patchwork  for their help in choosing a different colour combination for the mystery quilt

A                       B                      C

Bev

No comments:

Post a Comment