Tuesday 7 May 2013

Tyvek Revisited

Tyvek is a non woven fabric made by DuPont. It is also called Fibrefilm. 
I haven't used it for a few years and have had a day revisiting this interesting fabric. 

FREE ACEO offer details at bottom of post

When a heat source is applied to a piece of Tyvek it shrinks away from the heat and unusual effects and textures are created. ( Remember to have good ventilation when heating this type of material)

I chose to experiment with a heat gun and an iron on a dry setting, stitched and non stitched pieces.

NOTE: Always use baking parchment to prevent the Tyvek or Fibre Film sticking to your iron.


Tyvek sheet
After ironing. This is the side which was not directly exposed to heat - the wrong side). I like the pebble effect . 
Stitched with metallic thread
After ironing. This was the side exposed to the heat
The reverse side
Machine Stitching 
Ironed. Side exposed to heat
Ironed.The reverse side.

Machine stitched
Heat gun. A much more random shrinkage Don't like this as much as ironed effects
Machine Stitched
Heat gun used


Machine stitched
Heat gun used.
This piece of mixed media stitching used both the side of Tyvek exposed to heat and the reverse. 
Called River Bed it was influenced by rivers drying up during periods of drought.

Scan of the ACEO   'River Bed'
I have 22 limited edition ACEO's of the River Bed embroidery. ( Art Cards, Editions & Originals)
If you would like one please LIKE my Facebook page and Private Message me. Do not put any personal details onto the site, thank you.
I only have 22 so it is first come. I am not interested in building a mailing list so I will not be keeping your details.
I am giving these cards away free and will post worldwide but I cannot be held responsible for any lost in the post.

Happy Stitching

Bev

2 comments:

  1. I love Tyvek - not just because it goes all wibbly wobbly when you heat it, but also because it takes paint so well and is light enough to make into items where weighty fabric would be an issue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's lovely seeing the Tyvek being used on an actual piece of artwork - I was wondering what it could be used for and now I have more of an idea. Your River bed is gorgeous.
    Sue
    x

    ReplyDelete