Thursday 25 April 2013

A Doodle Day


I decided to explore my sewing machines programmed stitches and colour combinations. 
I was pleased with this sample which has a flow and the use of the cross stitch type stitch added contrast.


Straight and zigzag free motion embroidery in a warm colour scheme gave grids and texture to this sample. When free motion stitching I use a hoop but the stitches will still produce some fabric distortion. I only use straight and zig-zag stitches as the programmed stitches require the feed teeth to guide the patterns. In free motion stitching I am creating the patterns and moving the fabric. 



This sample is only using straight stitches. I thought I would create a fire effect as they were fire colours. Stitching in one direction produces even more distortion of the fabric even when held in a hoop.


Although free motion stitching can be used to create depth and texture in this last sample I have just doodled. 


Remember when sewing keep your shoulders and arms relaxed, and take regular breaks.
Ensure you have good lighting and that the machine is at the correct height.

Happy Stitching

Bev



No comments:

Post a Comment