Sunday 12 May 2013

A Mixed Bag of a Day

First thing this morning the weather was lovely and we took the opportunity of digging out an area of the garden for some fruit trees. Happily Scrappy put in an appearance, I had been getting worried as he has been noticeable by his absence the  last few days. I had thought that he had been pushed off his patch by a rather handsome alpha male blackbird who has been hanging around. 
He came to help us clear the area of unwanted worms and even dived into the rubbish bin in search of grubs.
After a morning of extreme digging where my husband broke his garden fork, the weather broke and it was time to head indoors.

I took the opportunity of a wet afternoon,  to finish a couple of texture projects for my sketchbooks. On Thursday the hand embroidery group had a fun morning using lots of different texture making materials. 


Using this small stamping block I decided to make some fish shaped buttons from paperclay.
I made two holes whilst the paperclay was still soft and tried to cut the shape out, some more successfully than others. 
The moulding detail is also variable, although it is only evident after painting.


I painted them with acrylics and used metallic rub-on's to highlight the design.



This one is my favourite. I used a very dark blue acrylic and a silver metallic rub to highlight.


I have also done some more experimenting with Tyvek. Painting the sheet with Berol meltdown in copper before ironing from different sides. 

From the top left going clockwise.
1. Painted side upwards towards the iron created these lovely hollows.
2. Painted side down away from the iron and there is a pebble effect.
3 & 4. These pieces have been exposed to heat from the iron on both sides giving a more crumpled texture.

Happy stitching

Bev

No comments:

Post a Comment